A Newbs Guide to Minecraft Servers!

Discussions regarding Minecraft hosting
TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Re: A Newbs Guide to Minecraft Servers!

Post by TyBraniff » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:03 pm

ibringkaos wrote:hey im completely new to this only played xbox version and how do i actually play whenever i put in the ip it says under construction
If your trying to connect to a server from the XBOX right now you cant.

Minecraft - Xbox Version...
..is highly outdated compared to the standard PC versions, The only reason they put the Connect to IP on the xbox menu is to show that eventually they will be able to connect to Xbox specific servers.

Please note: The game will never be cross-platform; which means PC versions will not be allowed to play with XBox Versions.
Novum Server; Alive and Kicking! PVP(Safe and dangerous), Economy, Skillsets and more!

turretsyndrome
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Post by turretsyndrome » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:10 pm

I see my server up and running from the Minecraft menu, but when I click on it, I get the message:

Connection Lost
End of stream

What do I need to do to connect to my server?

I play without Bukkit, and I don't know a whole lot :P.

Thank you!

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:49 pm

turretsyndrome wrote:I see my server up and running from the Minecraft menu, but when I click on it, I get the message:

Connection Lost
End of stream

What do I need to do to connect to my server?

I play without Bukkit, and I don't know a whole lot :P.

Thank you!
Thats a tricky one there, there could be number of network problems, or maybe a config set wrong. You are using the PC to connect to your server right? You would be shocked at how many people are using XBOX's trying to connect to PC servers. Other then that, There is not much I can do for you here, you will need to open a ticket in your ACP
Novum Server; Alive and Kicking! PVP(Safe and dangerous), Economy, Skillsets and more!

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:56 am

Updated
Changes:
+ Added Permissions Offsite example links.

davejharmon

Post by davejharmon » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:05 am

Hi,

I'm also having trouble with the "Connection Lost / End of Stream" error on my server.

I'm trying to log in using a mac, is this the problem? I hope not!

GuiltyGamer
No Longer a Newb

Post by GuiltyGamer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:48 am

If you're using CraftBukkit, a plugin might be causing this because CraftBukkit doesn't work with Minecraft 1.3.1 yet. A couple plugins on my server were causing this error on our server.

Also, it might be your network or Java version. Make sure you update your Java version to the latest one and turn of any downloading.

Adt2Mc

Post by Adt2Mc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Help!!! Hi TyBraniff, hope you can help me. a few days ago i rented my own server, thought it would be easy to set up. i want to run a few plugins on my CraftBukkit server ex: essentials, essentialgroups, iconomy, worldguiard, world edit and simple region market. for some reason when i place a plor for sale nobody besides ops can right click the sign, can you give me some advice please

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:29 am

Adt2Mc wrote:Help!!! Hi TyBraniff, hope you can help me. a few days ago i rented my own server, thought it would be easy to set up. i want to run a few plugins on my CraftBukkit server ex: essentials, essentialgroups, iconomy, worldguiard, world edit and simple region market. for some reason when i place a plor for sale nobody besides ops can right click the sign, can you give me some advice please
Alright! I noticed a lack of a Permissions Plugins! (Unless that's what EssentialsGroups is, because it Essentials Permissions API used to be called GroupManager) You will need to add something that will allow plugins to differentiate between privileged players (OP's) and regular players. I suggest PermissionsEX as its simple and I have written a guide explaining more on how to use it, with links on downloads!

Here is the GameServers forum post where I describe the permissions plugins and have offsite links to a few Permissions Plugins, if you need help setting them up I can gladly help you there with it more. If you do have one then you more then likely need to have it configured properly. If you need help with that follow the link i listed above and I will help you more with your Permission Needs on that forums post.

Hope this helped! :)

JordScape

Post by JordScape » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:57 pm

okay hi , i just bought my server today and litterly have no idea what to do , after reading this guide and settings it all up i got to the FileZilla part , which after a login issue was fixed and i finally got into the server , i see all the files related to my server but when i try and transfare server.properties to my PC it says i dont have enough permission , iv tried basically all options to edit or transfare this file , (the other files transfare fine) its just this one file which i obviously need that doesn't work, promt reply would be appreciated.

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 am

JordScape wrote:okay hi , i just bought my server today and litterly have no idea what to do , after reading this guide and settings it all up i got to the FileZilla part , which after a login issue was fixed and i finally got into the server , i see all the files related to my server but when i try and transfare server.properties to my PC it says i dont have enough permission , iv tried basically all options to edit or transfare this file , (the other files transfare fine) its just this one file which i obviously need that doesn't work, promt reply would be appreciated.
Good question! I Will update my guide after this response... Yes we have been limited on our access of certain files, SERVER.PROPERTIES being one of them. The only way to edit this file now is to;
  1. (Recommended) Backup server
  2. Log into Gameservers Control Panel
  3. Find the server you wish to edit
  4. Choose the 'Config' icon. this tab will allow us to edit those files VIA web editor.
  5. Look for which file you wish to edit. In this case choose SERVER.PROPERTIES
  6. Load the config with the load icon.
  7. Edit what you need edited
  8. Click the save icon.
  9. Restart server.
Hope this helped!

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 am

I will be updating this guide soon, sectioned with pictures, play by play.

JordScape

Post by JordScape » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 pm

how do i cancel my subscription? i cant find anywhere to cancel it so it doesnt automatically bill me.

JordScape

Post by JordScape » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 am

someone reply please? need to cancel my subscription before it charges me , please someone.

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 am

Create a ticket in your Gameservers Control pannel.

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Update: Added FTP Setup Guide Link to first area.