A Newbs Guide to Minecraft Servers!

Discussions regarding Minecraft hosting
TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

A Newbs Guide to Minecraft Servers!

Post by TyBraniff » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 am

Welcome to a Newbs Guide to Minecraft Servers!
:idea: Wow the amazing world of Minecraft! Now you are in charge of your own server! Okay, I paid for my server, and got my IP! But.... now what? Wheres all the fun admin commands I see on Youtube? Why cant I break anything when I first spawn? Why are monsters spawning on peaceful?! HELP!
First of Relax, and take a deep breath! Lets take a few minutes getting to know how to take care of our server a little better!

To start lets go ahead and find ourselves an FTP Client. What is an FTP Client and why is it Important? Well FTP Stands for File Transfer Protocol and these programs are used to send files too, and from, your server. This will be important to install Mods, edit server properties, and backing up your server! I personally use Filezilla because it is efficient and free. Your FTP Client is going to need a little bit of information in order to connect to your server. This information can be found in your User Control Panel at Gameservers. Find the server you wish to have FTP access to and click the little Config wrench next to its name, now it will list your FTP Login information! Once you have set up your FTP you can start editing, adding, and deleting files from your server!

:arrow: Update(1/30/2013)! Here is a link for installing and setting up Filezilla FTP With Pictures!
FTP Install and Setup guide (With Pictures)

:!: Pro-Tip:Make sure to back up your server every time you are about to make changes! We would hate to see you lose everything!

Some of the base things you are going to need to do now is get familiar with your server files, Importantly there is your:
  • Editable Server Files
  • server.properties
  • ops.txt
  • white-list.txt
  • banned-ips.txt
  • banned-players.txt
Okay, cool, I got some weird files, now what? :?:
Its as simple as opening them with wordpad, or notepad, whichever you would like.

Your Server Properties file :
Here you can choose a lot of the worlds basic options, for a full in detail list of what each property does visit the Minecraftwiki
:arrow: UPDATED, How to edit this file!
  1. Yes we have been limited on our access of certain files, SERVER.PROPERTIES being one of them. The only way to edit these files is now to;
  2. (Recommended) Backup server
  3. Log into Gameservers Control Panel
  4. Find the server you wish to edit
  5. Choose the 'Config' icon. this tab will allow us to edit those files VIA web editor.
  6. Look for which file you wish to edit. In this case choose SERVER.PROPERTIES
  7. Load the config with the load icon.
  8. Edit what you need edited
  9. Click the save icon.
  10. Restart server.
Your Operators/Server Admins file
With the ops.txt you can add server operators, make sure only to put people you trust on here as they come with a lot of in game commands that can allow them to change server properties within game! For a list of all the operator commands visit Minecraftwiki

An example ops.txt/white-list.txt/banned-players.txt is as followed:

Code: Select all

YourUserName
TyBraniff
YourBestFriend
CaPsLoCkIsFoRpOsErS
Notch
All of the user files (white-list.txt/ops.txt/banned-players.txt/banned-ip.txt) are done the same way! So keep note of that!

Whos Allowed to play?
In your proporties file there is a line

white-list=false
A white-list is a file that tells your server what users are allowed to connect to your server, this is great for families who don't want people they don't know connecting to there server, preventing any harassment or griefing to there families server. The downside to this is that every time someone new wishes to join you have to find there username and add it to the white list, either with the /white-list command in game or by editing the white-list.txt file. Alternatively if you don't use the white-list the server will use the Banned lists, to block anyone on these lists from joining. By default your server DOES NOT use the white-list to use the white-list simply change the above code to

white-list=true
Other things you should know about your server before you get started!
Spawn (Which is 100x100 block area where you FIRST POP UP) in a server is protected, It isn't allowed to be edited to prevent griefers from filling it with lava, or removing the ground under your feet so when you spawn you are in a pit. This can be changed though with the support of a plugins manager, and plugins!
Alright Ty, I think I'm getting the hang of this 8) , Now what about Bukkit and Plugins? Now that I'm an OP I can break spawn area, but what if I want my members to be able to edit spawn too :?
Now since this guide focuses on setting up a server and not setting up each plug-in, and the fact that there are millions!, I am going to give a basic run down on how to install a plug in manager, and how to install its plugins.
Last edited by TyBraniff on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Plugins & Mods

Post by TyBraniff » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 am

Plugins and Mods
Is there a difference between a plugin and a mod??
YES! And I will explain how you can set up both! First lets look at whats first; Mods!

Mods

A mod is a 3rd party edition that changes the direct code to your Minecraft_server.Jar file, In order for this to work correctly both the server and the user have to edit there respectable .JAR files in order to get the full effect of a mod. Each Mod has its own installer rules and how-too's so make sure you read them carefully. The pro's to doing this is the ability to add custom items or physics to the game where it wouldn't have that normally, I.E. Obsidian armor, or a new NPC's Like warewolves. The downside to this is before anyone connects to your server they have to have the mod installed correctly on their client as well. making it a pain in the butt to build a community since a lot of users enjoy the "jump right in and get going effect" of games. Also mods have the ability to conflict with each other.

Plugins

From what I know Gameservers sets us up with the latest version of Bukkit Bukkit is a great Plugins manager, Lets take a look at how this works. Bukkit works with your server to give you an advanced array of commands, simpler item codes, and all around custom editable code. However it doesn't allow you to add custom items/NPC's. The pro's to this is that anyone can join your server without having to edit their client to get the full effect.

Lets get a quick understand on how to control Bukkit. Post 1.1-RB6 Bukkit has three main files named bukkit.YML, help.YML, and permissions.yml

The Bukkit.YML contains many things that control how bukkit effects your server. This file protects spawn after bukkit starts running on your server.

settings:
  spawn-radius: 16
You can change this to = 0 and that shall stop bukkit from protecting spawn! or make it greater to protect your spawn even further! This effects all Non-OPS! For more information on the Bukkit.YML Visit the wiki.bukkit.org

The help.YML is a fairly new file that allows you to create custom /help messages for players depending on their permissions within the permissions.yml
:!: For a Thread with more details on Permissions support Please click here
  • To add plugins to your server its actually quite simple.
  • Go to Bukkit's Dev page (this is where all the official Bukkit Plugins, ones that dont crash the game and have been approved for the latest versions of bukkit) and find a plugin you might enjoy.
  • Lets take a look at one of my personal favorites, Factions, for its idea to create teamwork and prevents people from griefing your server.
  • Download the latest version of the plugin, usually it will be named [PLUGINNAME].JAR.
  • Upload it, with your FTP Program that we talked about in my first post, to your /plugins/ directory of your server.
  • Restart your server.
If the plugin works you will see that it created a new folder in your /plugins/ directory! Additionally once in game you can say in game '/Plugins' and it will highlight all working plugins in green and all plugins with problems in red
My plugin requires an addition port? What does gameservers let us use?
Awesome question, Ill just quote Beau;
[gs] Limp_Bizkit* wrote: ...9000-9050...
Alright, so heres what I get; If I want a mod installed I need to read exactly how the Mod wants me to install it on both my minecraft client and on my server. For plugins just load the Bukkit Plugin into the /plugins/ folder on my server and restart the server. If I need extra ports I have 9000-9050 to work with, :? I Understand a bit more now.
If you encounter any major issues that this guide doesn't cover you can always start a support ticket with your Gameservers representative VIA The User Control Panel.
If you need any help please create a topic post here in the forums under minecraft and I will do my best to help you. Time between replies will vary simply because I don't get paid :arrow: I help people from the kindness of my heart.
Last edited by TyBraniff on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Re: A Newbs Guide to Minecraft Servers!

Post by TyBraniff » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 am

Updating Your Server
  1. Back up your server
  2. Go to Minecraft.net/download and download the latest Minecraft_server.jar
  3. Go to Bukkit and download the latest CraftBukkit release
  4. Shut off your server
  5. Upload, using your FTP, both files to your home directory (Where the Minecraft_server.jar goes)
  6. Create a Ticket in your Admin Control Panel about installing a mod on your server and reference the latest bukkit build in your ticket.
  7. Wait patiently*....
  8. Log in and check your plugins with the /plugins command to make sure nothing is broken.**
Running an "Offline" Server
Often referred to as a 'Cracked' Server. What this means is people do not need a valid Minecraft account to play on your server. :arrow: This is Dangerous for large servers and non-white-listed servers. Use this feature at your own digression. Here is a link to a later post that explains the details of an Offline Server.

Server.properties
online-mode=true
What this does is tells the server to check Minecraft.net for official account information, Turning it to false would stop it from authenticating usernames, and allow anyone to join.
:!: Be careful as people can come in with any name they want regardless of username/password (I.E. If you log off they can change their username to YOUR username and become an OP.) :!:

*Waiting patiently is your choice; if you choose to rage and throw your pc around as you wait please be my guest. But honestly you will look quite silly.
**Even if a plugin is housed as 'Green' sometimes it will still not work correctly. from 1.1 - 1.2 all plugins need updated. Please visit the corresponding Plugins page and make sure they have a CraftBukkit-1.1-RB6 Update or greater.

:idea: Sometimes bukkit takes forever to update to a new Recommended Build (RB) which takes all the plugins out of a server, If you are in between builds and wish to run your server without Bukkit (If it isnt that important) Then simply create a ticket that you would like your server started without bukkit. This will allow you to play on Vanilla Minecraft. (Fun! but not quite as awesome.)
Last edited by TyBraniff on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kapzer837
No Longer a Newb

Post by Kapzer837 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 pm

May I recommend using Notepad++? I find it very handy for editing configs and stuff like that.

I also found some ports that you can use for plugins like Dynmap and other things requiring such: 8075 and 9021.
Gonna fetch some content for this sig soon.

[gs] devicenull
Frag. Not post.

Post by [gs] devicenull » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Kapzer837 wrote:May I recommend using Notepad++? I find it very handy for editing configs and stuff like that.

I also found some ports that you can use for plugins like Dynmap and other things requiring such: 8075 and 9021.
The only ports we can promise are open are in the range 9000-9050. Using port outside this range is not recommended, as they may be closed at any time.

Kapzer837
No Longer a Newb

Post by Kapzer837 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Oh ok, those were just the ones specified by another staff member in the ticket I sent.
Gonna fetch some content for this sig soon.

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Kapzer837 wrote:May I recommend using Notepad++? I find it very handy for editing configs and stuff like that.

Notepad++ is a great program for editing RTF and TXT files, along with many other configurations based files. The reason I suggest notepad or wordpad is because most computers come with them already pre-installed. The idea of the guide is to presume the users have minimal knowledge of editing tools and programs :)
devicenull wrote: The only ports we can promise are open are in the range 9000-9050. Using port outside this range is not recommended, as they may be closed at any time.
At some points when I get into discussing with plugins and mods, if people wish to add a mod that needs ports I will implement that gameservers only keeps those ports (9000-9050) open.

Its been a busy past few days, Ill get around to finishing this, Promise :)
Novum Server; Alive and Kicking! PVP(Safe and dangerous), Economy, Skillsets and more!

Kazzaw
Frag. Not post.

Post by Kazzaw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 am

Bump for sticky/top of the forums
Kazzaw

Using a support ticket is the quickest and easiest way to get a response to questions

I do not work for or am not associated with Gameservers in any way. All information shared is that of my own knowledge gathered and may not be correct.

pitsbrgparatrpr
No Longer a Newb

Post by pitsbrgparatrpr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi! About to get a Minecraft Server. I want to use Whitelist. When I set it to true, do I then have to list who can join below that? I have a L4dead2 server now, so I'm familiar with GS, I just use a Password on those though. Also, how hard is it to set myself up as Operator? thanks!

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 am

pitsbrgparatrpr wrote:Hi! About to get a Minecraft Server. I want to use Whitelist. When I set it to true, do I then have to list who can join below that? I have a L4dead2 server now, so I'm familiar with GS, I just use a Password on those though. Also, how hard is it to set myself up as Operator? thanks!
In the server.proporties file is where you must change white-list=true Then to allow people to join simply go to your white-list.txt file and add users separated by returns (Enter key)

Example of how your two files should look:

#Minecraft server properties
#Date and time of creation of file
allow-nether=true
level-name=world
enable-query=false
allow-flight=false
server-port=25565
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
server-ip=###.###.###.###
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=true
spawn-animals=true
online-mode=true
pvp=true
difficulty=1
gamemode=0
max-players=20
spawn-monsters=true
generate-structures=true
view-distance=10
motd=A Minecraft Server
this will make the server read the white-list.txt file to see who is allowed in so you change your white-list.txt to:

:?: One Thing im not for sure of is if it is case sensitive, I believe it is so make sure all cases match UpPeR aNd LoWeRcAsE! :?:

TyBraniff
Yourusername
SORRYCAPSLOCK
Anawesomefishyfish195
That_guy
Notch

If you want to become a server operator so you can add people while in game, instead of changing the white-list.txt each time, simply open your ops.txt and make yourself an op the same way you white-listed yourself

TyBraniff
Yourusername
OtherOperator
Notch
BestFriend
Then you can simply use the SMP commands:

/whitelist <add|remove> <playername>
/whitelist reload
Novum Server; Alive and Kicking! PVP(Safe and dangerous), Economy, Skillsets and more!

pitsbrgparatrpr
No Longer a Newb

Post by pitsbrgparatrpr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 pm

THANKS!!! One last question please! To add peopel in game. I am guessing the tilde correct then type in command like other games? Also, do I have to do /rcon password ******* ? first?

TyBraniff
No Longer a Newb

Post by TyBraniff » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 pm

pitsbrgparatrpr wrote:THANKS!!! One last question please! To add peopel in game. I am guessing the tilde correct then type in command like other games? Also, do I have to do /rcon password ******* ? first?
All commands are ran VIA the Chat system, to make the server listen for a command start your statements with a forward slash '/'

So to add people to the white-list you simply would start chat (with default the 'T' key) then you would say:

/whitelist <add|remove> <playername>

Source (and all server commands):
Minecraftwiki.net

When you say Tilde (`) You must be used to Source based games Like Counter Strike, Or other FPS like BF3, and such. Minecraft console is done right from chat.

There is no RCON settings just yet, thats still in development by mojang, you only need to be a server admin. (On the OPS.TXT File)

unknownclient
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Post by unknownclient » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Thank you so much for posting this how to. This should be a sticky if it is not already.

Devionn
No Longer a Newb

Post by Devionn » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 am

Hey Ty.

I didn't buy a server yet, but can I ask... Does the control pannel include any use of commands? Or is it like an online directory system eg Dropbox? I do know how to run a server though :P

Regards
Devionn

Support my clan, and support this amazing Game Server host by clicking on the link above!

Btw... I like cheese.

Kazzaw
Frag. Not post.

Post by Kazzaw » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24 pm

If you are talking about the gameservers.com control panel no there are no controls there apart from the ability to start/stop the server and the file directory of the server.

Sent from my DROID Razr 4G
Kazzaw

Using a support ticket is the quickest and easiest way to get a response to questions

I do not work for or am not associated with Gameservers in any way. All information shared is that of my own knowledge gathered and may not be correct.