Server.cfg

General support for the upcoming PC game Brink
Bion
No Longer a Newb

Re: Server.cfg

Post by Bion » Tue May 10, 2011 1:07 pm

To be honest I am starting to think that the server reinstall I did is what fixed it, because right now it is not responding to my restart commands so I am not even sure that the new server.cfg file is being used.

I too have opened a ticket to find out more.

In any case, several of the default commands had "" in places they shouldn't have according to the "brink - windows dedicated server 1.1.pdf" file (which you can find in the main brink directory of your FTP site on your game server. If you look through that it explains most of the commands.

So commands like those below shouldn't have "" in them (and at least for me, the default server.cfg file had the "" for these commands.

si_needpass 0
spawnServer mp/ccity

Also, according to the server instructions file it appears that the file needs a "si_playMode" command to set the game mode, but I am currently trying to figure it out.

EDIT: the si_playMode command I had here previously was incorrect. I have been looking through the other cfg files on the server to get an idea of how they work.

Take all of that with a grain of salt, because I am still trying to figure it out as well, and the server command buttons in the members area don't seem to be working for me (I have friends playing on the server and they are reporting that the server is not restarting...but at least it is running).

JMWTech
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Post by JMWTech » Tue May 10, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm in the same boat. I was messing with the config trying to get co-op going but had no luck. Now I can't even restart the server.

I have a ticket open... I'm none too impressed at this moment

Betaman2k

Post by Betaman2k » Tue May 10, 2011 2:14 pm

i hope the sever is fixed on 13.5.2011

that is my day to get this game hehe

Krilion
No Longer a Newb

Post by Krilion » Tue May 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Stop Server & Restart Server buttons under the Info Tab, do not seem to be working at all

Server Config tab also seems to be completely broken.. No server.cfg dialog form box and the Update buttons does not do anything either.

suzpiper

Post by suzpiper » Tue May 10, 2011 2:45 pm

I ended up clicking the Reinstall - full wipe buttons, and then the server began to work. We got to play a round, and the server filled to capacity very quickly.

BUT...

No files exist in the ftp site now at all. There is just the root account directory, no brink subdirectory is there any longer. So I still am unable to do anything with the server as far as setup, even though I took the entire day off from work to get this going.

I keep updating my support ticket with additional info as I find it, but have yet to get a response.

Krilion
No Longer a Newb

Post by Krilion » Tue May 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Yeah, I am on the GS IRC.. no response there either yet..

Pyrostasis

Post by Pyrostasis » Tue May 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Well I do have ftp access and can change the server.cfg however it doesnt appear the changes that I make are actually affecting the server.

My servers name isnt displaying in the master server, I assume due to it not having been pushed through.

I also seem to have hijacking on, even though I have it off... as the one time I got onto the server it was campaign instead of Objective.

Restart and stop dont work for me either as the server is full even during a restart.

Filed a ticket, hopefully this is a fix on GS side and not just a general brink DS issue.

Bion
No Longer a Newb

Post by Bion » Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Well even after the Brink server fix a bit ago, I still can't restart the server or apply a new server.cfg file. Anyone out there had success with this yet?

Beetlebub
No Longer a Newb

Post by Beetlebub » Tue May 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Bion wrote:Well even after the Brink server fix a bit ago, I still can't restart the server or apply a new server.cfg file. Anyone out there had success with this yet?
I can FTP and run the server just fine now. I can edit the server.cfg, or at least I can overwrite the file. I just cant stop/restart the server. I tried changing the name of the server, which sticks in the server.cfg, but doesn't work if I cannot restart the server.

Bion
No Longer a Newb

Post by Bion » Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Yeah that is exactly my problem too. The server runs and I can upload a new server.cfg file, but without being able to restart the server the updated cfg file is never applied :(

ChillGamers.net
No Longer a Newb

Post by ChillGamers.net » Tue May 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Are you going into Base>server.cfg? I have tried editing that .cfg, restarted my server and nothing. I can't see to have the server name changed. Dunno if it's something on my end or GS' end. :(

Bion
No Longer a Newb

Post by Bion » Tue May 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Yeah that is the server.cfg file I am editing.

ChillGamers.net
No Longer a Newb

Post by ChillGamers.net » Tue May 10, 2011 4:54 pm

And in the .cfg you're changing like the "Another Brink Server" or whatever it is for si_servername up on the top, right? And are you leaving in the " " ? I've read that you do and don't need them so I dunno.

Beetlebub
No Longer a Newb

Post by Beetlebub » Tue May 10, 2011 4:57 pm

ChillGamers wrote:And in the .cfg you're changing like the "Another Brink Server" or whatever it is for si_servername up on the top, right? And are you leaving in the " " ? I've read that you do and don't need them so I dunno.
Yes, that's the only setting I'm trying to get to stick currently, the si_name setting.

I leave the quotes on. I would imagine a string value would need the quote wrappers, the int values probably don't need them, but I also wouldn't think it would matter.

Krilion
No Longer a Newb

Post by Krilion » Tue May 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Bion wrote:Yeah that is exactly my problem too. The server runs and I can upload a new server.cfg file, but without being able to restart the server the updated cfg file is never applied :(

This ^^^^^^^ !! It is like it refuses to read the server.cfg at all.. And the Stop/Restart buttons don't do anything either..

They said to do a 'ReInstall /w Full wipe' .. I have done that twice now and it did not help at all...