Setting up a new ARK public server

Ask fellow forum members questions related to managing and developing your website!
DMShag
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Setting up a new ARK public server

Post by DMShag » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Me and some friends who play Ark together want to get our own public server through Gameservers.com. None of us have ever had a game server before. We have no real idea on how to set one up. I've read the page on servers at the official Ark wiki and it's so terribly confusing with all of the command line arguments and integers this and true/false that. Do we need to have a working knowledge of these kinds of commands to setup a server with custom taming, gathering, xp rates and day/night cycles. Or is there server side assistance for these things. Also, mods. We want to run a custom map (valhalla or the center) and several other mods. I've read about needing to have an FTP to put the mods in and all other sorts of confusing things. I know on single player or non-dedicated (local) setups you just pick the map/mods you want and take off. I'm just trying to determine if Gameservers.com make these things easy for us noobs or if it's really something that only those with tons of experience should attempt. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DMShag