Left 4 Dead: Switching between Versus and Coop

General Support & Discussion related to the Left 4 Dead series, including L4D2.
djlowballer
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Left 4 Dead: Switching between Versus and Coop

Post by djlowballer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:03 am

A few questions.

1. My server in the GameServers section says 12 players but currently it says 0/4 on the service tracker. I think this is because I only have it on campaign mode ATM but how can I switch it easily?

2. Controlling difficulty and choosing story in game! Since there is no Lobby how can I select these? My z_difficulty is set at "Impossible" which I assume is Expert. When we do log on I would prefer a way to choose where we start out to get the full intro etc.

3. Is the server favorites bugged? If I try to add the server it never shows up. If I search for games at address I see the server easy. All my friends are having this same problem.

tsu
No Longer a Newb

Post by tsu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:19 am

I would like to know the answer for number 1 as well, for number 2 just call for a vote in game. can switch the difficulty by the fly any time. and 3, the server browser for this game has always been a little broken.

djlowballer

Post by djlowballer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:41 am

do you have a command for vote call?

tsu
No Longer a Newb

Post by tsu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 am

just hit esc while in game, should be a option in there.

DreyMIX

Post by DreyMIX » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 am

But I can set the server immediately in versus mode, without using the vote or something else?

shah3211
No Longer a Newb

Post by shah3211 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:01 pm

the only way to play versus at the moment is to switch the map to a versus map. this automatically switchs server from 4 slots to 8 slots.

[gs] devicenull
Frag. Not post.

Post by [gs] devicenull » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:10 pm

You can only have 4 slots during coop play. As shah3211 indicated, editing your mapcycle is the only way of enabling versus mode currently.

Finedragon
No Longer a Newb

Post by Finedragon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:45 pm

I set my map cycle to VS and it keeps starting at hospital (coop). I edited my map cycle to only VS and it is not cycling the way I set it up.

Also I have been told that if people are in a lobby and configure the settings and click search for server and it finds mine it overrules my settings. Is that true? If so then I can turn off the allow lobby connect? Then you will be forced to join via "openserverbrowser"?

[gs] devicenull
Frag. Not post.

Post by [gs] devicenull » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Finedragon wrote:I set my map cycle to VS and it keeps starting at hospital (coop). I edited my map cycle to only VS and it is not cycling the way I set it up.

Also I have been told that if people are in a lobby and configure the settings and click search for server and it finds mine it overrules my settings. Is that true? If so then I can turn off the allow lobby connect? Then you will be forced to join via "openserverbrowser"?
Create a ticket requesting that the default map be changed.

Players can change settings on the server via the vote option. There's no way of disabling this, even if they join via the server browser they can still use the voting feature.

Finedragon
No Longer a Newb

Post by Finedragon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Yeah I created a ticket prior to my first post (6 hours ago) and I have not heard back yet.

Man that really sucks that they can change my settings. There has to be a way to allow/disallow certain vote options.

dirtyjob
I answer every post

Post by dirtyjob » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm

aggreed they "valve" need a variable to disable votes alltogether.
24/7 Internet Radio @ http://www.FairPlayRadio.org

Finedragon
No Longer a Newb

Post by Finedragon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 pm

Anyone know why my map cycle won't work? Anyone else having this problem?

Also some of my clan members were playing in the server and once all the maps cycled it kicked them out. Like it was restarted.

This is all I have in my mamcycle.txt file:

Code: Select all

l4d_vs_hospital01_apartment
l4d_vs_hospital02_subway
l4d_vs_hospital03_sewers
l4d_vs_hospital04_interior
l4d_vs_hospital05_rooftop
l4d_vs_farm01_hilltop
l4d_vs_farm02_traintunnel
l4d_vs_farm03_bridge
l4d_vs_farm04_barn
l4d_vs_farm05_cornfield

Finedragon
No Longer a Newb

Post by Finedragon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:13 pm

[gs] devicenull wrote:Create a ticket requesting that the default map be changed.
9 hours and no help yet.

Noe3

Post by Noe3 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:37 am

I was having this problem for a while, nothing seemed to work. Ended up looking into the Infected.cfg and Infected_off.cfg files, there's a command in there (forgot which one, you should check both)

director_no_human_zombies 1

This forbids players being infected, probably the hotfix for the demo so people couldn't play around with them before the game came out, anyways, set it to 0 and it'll go to versus (at least it did for me).

Finedragon
No Longer a Newb

Post by Finedragon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Well I added that to my config and I am at work so I cannot trey it. However the Game tracker monitor shows 8 slots on the map that does not have "_vs_" in the map name (only showed 4 on non _vs_ maps). I remember seeing that at one point in time but I was not aware that is what it did. I will try it out tonight. Thank You. Hope it works.