Limitation for third-party application

General Support & Discussion related to the Halo series including Halo & HaloCE.
coolest2guy
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Limitation for third-party application

Post by coolest2guy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello, I would like to know what is the "no-no" list and the "ok" list since I am a developer for DZS Halo Server Extension (S-Ext for summary) for Halo Custom Edition Dedicated Server. Either you can post the info here or contact me directly so I can understand and ability to keep it under standard requirement to allow customers able to use S-Ext with your hosting server for Halo Custom Edition. The basic understanding for me at least listed below; again, please let me know what's your expectation that you may or may not accept, missing additional info, etc.

The "no-no" list:
* Cannot be running by another process. (For time being, it is running separated .exe for allowing the dedicated server to be more up-time until further notice.)
* Must not scan for other halo server(s) running. (other customer's halo server)
* Cannot be very unstable.
* No major memory leaks. (As in constantly increasing its own memory size.)
* Any other?

The "ok" list:
* Allow alternating code change inside the haloceded.exe's memory.
* Allow certain integration such as admin bot, admin system, teleportation list, etc.
* Allow to keep record of names, ips, ports, etc.
* Allow native mdb file for such record.
* Must be stable to use.
* Does not required any Visual Studio redistribute package.
* Any other?

The "unknown" list:
* Can upload addon** (the format will be always _____.eao which actually a .dll format).
* Can auto update the third-party and/or addon(s)**.
* Must be under __?__ MB RAM for third-party itself without any other loaded.

** Addon is defined as plugin to be load with provided Add-on API for S-Ext.

My only goals are able to provide the Halo Custom Edition community their needs to run a role-playing, secure administrator system, expand its flexibilities to the hosts and including for players as well, be more open to other developers to create their own addon**, plus more.

tetrapackage
No Longer a Newb

Re: Limitation for third-party application

Post by tetrapackage » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 pm

I just hope they could use a third-party application of their choice for us to use in order to add these limitations anywhere we want.

coolest2guy
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Re: Limitation for third-party application

Post by coolest2guy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:07 am

tetrapackage wrote:I just hope they could use a third-party application of their choice for us to use in order to add these limitations anywhere we want.

I would happen to agree and disagree. What I disagree are, there may be some disrespectful developers that wanting to crash their game servers down often, searching for security holes to break in, and such. And what I do agree are, the official game developers may have missed a few glitches, security holes, and/or protection, the old games may not have admin system to control the server or its ability to be more control to players by hosts' choice, and such.

However I have no knowledge with gameservers.com hosting the game and how they set them up. Meaning I have not pay for their Halo CE hosting plan. If I know how they set up their own hosting for Halo CE such as additional files other than inside the maps folder, then I could meet their standard restriction if there is any.