Call of Duty Black Ops FAQ (Updated 11/10 #3)

General Support & Discussion related to the Call of Duty Series including COD1, COD2, COD4, COD:WAW, United Offensive and Blackops.
woowoo
I answer every post

Re: Call of Duty Black Ops FAQ

Post by woowoo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:21 am

dalrot wrote:What is the differences between Ranked and Unranked?
ranked is standard everything and will earn points for the players.
Unranked can be configured differently and modified - but does not earn points for the players.
----------
woowoo

www.war-dogs.net

Beaknuke
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Post by Beaknuke » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm skeptical if GameServers can cope with the demand for BlackOps PC, for instance we currently have around 21,000 players atm playing CoD4 ( using gamemonitor stats ), so if this was the same players for blackops then that is the equiv. of 1166x 18man BO servers.

Although I congratulate you on gaining the contract to host exclusively I do feel that you need to prepare for November as I see the demand might be too much for you to cope with. I suspect there will be more then 21,000 players wanting to play in the first week, so how are you going to do it?

I suspect you have a water-tight contract with Activision but is this for both unranked and ranked? I can understand it if it is only ranked but can you sub-contract to other providers as you "rent space" of datacenters, so I would presume you would be allowed to "rent space" with existing GSP's?

As many questions are coming to yourselves, this will only esculate over the coming weeks, I would suggest that you fly out to Treyarch and meet up with the PC Teams involved with the game to iron out any of the problems, for example @-

1: to run customised configuration and mod files on your unranked servers, what is allowed and not
2: would punkbuster-related 'server-side' anti-cheat methods be run along side the client-side VAC? eg. Unranked again.
3: How can we use the server for competitive matches? e.g. ProMod related things like round-timers and switching sides.
4: How long is the contract for? what happens in 5 years time? will BO be switched off?

To be honest, I would like to see an article of the preparations you are going through to take on the release of biggest FPS game of all time, as dedicated servers mattered for PC owners in the last CoD, it is now very important that you can deliver a service that works throughout the world. Are you ready?

Regards
Beaknuke
Bashandslash.com

Schofield Bond

Post by Schofield Bond » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:13 am

Hello,

I have heard about the call of duty game, really it is a very nice game, i have ever played it. It is awesome.

Thanks,
John Farris

dixie_69thsf
Click my affiliate link

Post by dixie_69thsf » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 am

Beaknuke,
I absolutely agree. This is going to be an interesting fall to say the least. BC2 continued problems, more than likely same problems with MOH new release. Afraid they will need like call centers in the 4 corners of the world to handle once it hits. Not to mention data centers servers to handle the request. Be very interesting.

Good luck GS.

shinobi
GameServers Staff

Post by shinobi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:11 am

The BC2 issues were entirely to do with EA having issues with their Plasma back end, nothing to do with anything we had control over.

As I have said in another post our COO posted the following in another thread:
[gs] quon wrote:Through our network and hardware partners as well as continous planning for this release, we are 100% confident that we can properly facilitate Black Ops servers world wide. Prior to Black Ops, we have always maintained a very significant lead in the GSP marketspace in terms of providing a very large % of the existing servers available for players. For Black Ops, with our experience as the largest GSP, we will have the infrastructure to handle the already large demand for servers.
Solutions to many common issues can be found within your members area here: https://my.gameservers.com/support/faq.php

hedes

Post by hedes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:59 am

Really hope to see more servers in the Southeast asia region. There's really a lot of players here. suggestion was already made anyway

quagmire623
No Longer a Newb

Post by quagmire623 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:36 pm

What still gets me is the fact that we've been told the dedicated server "box" we pay a premium for with GS will NOT be allowed to have CoD:BO installed on it when it is released. Even if you have the control panel on your box, which restricts your abilities to do ANYTHING, they still won't allow you to install it.

The whole point of the control panel is to restrict it so it's like other single game purchases. We did this to run BFBC2, so why is CoD:BO going to be SO much more restrictive than that game? I find that laughable since the fact mod tools have been confirmed says this game, while being locked down to a point, won't be as bad as BC2 was.

This is something GS needs to put at the front of the list in terms of discussing with the developer so it can be allowed. The thought of us going into release day without this resolved well beforehand does not sit well with me. So many people from our clan, as well as all others, will have this game from day1, and to NOT have a server ready to go for them is a very bad thing.

Go to bat for us dedicated "box" owners GS, and get this fixed soon!

GrossKopf
I answer every post

Post by GrossKopf » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:39 am

quagmire623 wrote:What still gets me is the fact that we've been told the dedicated server "box" we pay a premium for with GS will NOT be allowed to have CoD:BO installed on it when it is released. Even if you have the control panel on your box, which restricts your abilities to do ANYTHING, they still won't allow you to install it.
Where did you read that? I don't think GS has said with any certainty that you can't have it on your dedicated box. I think even they don't know the answer to that yet.
GrossKopf's Gaming Community: NoSmacktards.net
Recruiting for Medal of Honor: Warfighter! Visit us today!

Scifi671
What's Frag Mean?

Post by Scifi671 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:57 pm

I just confirmed with a support ticket that you'll be able to run COD:BO on dedicated boxes.
Yes, you will be able to run this on your server.

Thanks,

Zachary Williams
If I helped you, I would really appreciate it if you clicked my affiliate link.
http://www.gameservers.com/?ref=1632354
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2032267285.png

quagmire623
No Longer a Newb

Post by quagmire623 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:07 pm

GrossKopf wrote:
quagmire623 wrote:What still gets me is the fact that we've been told the dedicated server "box" we pay a premium for with GS will NOT be allowed to have CoD:BO installed on it when it is released. Even if you have the control panel on your box, which restricts your abilities to do ANYTHING, they still won't allow you to install it.
Where did you read that? I don't think GS has said with any certainty that you can't have it on your dedicated box. I think even they don't know the answer to that yet.

This is taken from my support ticket I opened for just this reason:
For the time being, we are not planning on having that game available on the dedicated boxes. Perhaps in the future, the option may become available, but in the meantime, unfortunately, we will not be able to grant that request.

CODBO is being handled differently than any other game ever has been, and a certain degree of consistency needs to be met. Until the developer approves the use of it on dedicated boxes and we have ample time to do testing with it, it will not be available.

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

You should, however, still be able to order an individual subscription(or 10) if you like.

If for whatever reason, I missed something, or if you have any further questions or need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

"
I then pressed about this issue because it said we WOULD be able to host the game, in this thread. This is what it previously said in the FAQ:

Yes, you will be able to install Call of Duty Black Ops through the control paneled dedicated server, you will not be able to do so without the control panel installed in order to protect the server files. These are subject to availability. Dedicated servers may be locked down to only contain Black Op servers and other game instances that do not allow FTP access due to security reasons.

This has since been removed

and they responded in my ticket:
I apologize. Up until when the announcement that we were going to be hosting this game exclusively, this was a secret from all of our employees, short of the few people who were responsible for working out the deal in the first place. That being said, we have been hit with a sudden flood of information from many sources about everything Black Ops. It seems that Shinobi was simply misinformed prior to making that post. I am now briefing him on the situation. I have also corrected the forum thread to avoid further confusion.

Personally, I have discussed as many of the questions I had with our head of operations, Anthony, and he made it clear that as of this point in time, it is still up in the air, but for the time being, it is not going to be available.

I apologize once again for any confusion in this matter, I assure you that we are doing everything we can to meet everyone's expectations for CODBO and will do what we can, within reason, to do so.

If for whatever reason, I missed something, or if you have any further questions or need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

"
This means that until GS gets or convinces Treyarch to allow it, dedicated boxes will NOT be allowed. I have faith GS will work to this end for us, but make no mistake, until or unless they can get this allowed we will be unable to host, even with the control panel, which just completely baffles me, as it turns our "box" into a restricted server, which is the same as the single servers they offer.

While I think in the end we will be allowed to host, the fact GS signed an exclusive aggreement with Treyarch over this game, yet didn't have this issue resolved before this announcement took place, scares me. This issue should have had a definitive answer from the moment of its announcement. I know if this isn't met, we will be terminating our rental, as it's worthless to have a dedicated box any more if this is going to be the common approach. I'm hoping this turns out to not be the case. In gaming today though, I expect the worst, and hope for the best.

quagmire623
No Longer a Newb

Post by quagmire623 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Sry double post
Last edited by quagmire623 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quagmire623
No Longer a Newb

Post by quagmire623 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:19 pm

quagmire623 wrote:
Scifi671 wrote:I just confirmed with a support ticket that you'll be able to run COD:BO on dedicated boxes.
Yes, you will be able to run this on your server.

Thanks,

Zachary Williams

Either people still aren't on the same page or new info has come out since my ticket, which was 4 days ago. Until I see it on my control panel to install (like MoH is now), I will assume it hasn't been added yet.

As of this moment, you are NOT allowed.

This bothers me because I don't want to go into the game release waiting and hoping, then finding out we can't host it, THEN find out GS is sold out in the area we would want to rent in. This is a scenario others could have too if this isn't answered definitively soon.

Scifi671
What's Frag Mean?

Post by Scifi671 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 pm

I don't think their dedicated server support would tell us that we will be able to install unless that's the way its going to be when the game releases. As for the people who don't think GS can keep up with the amount of servers, if you preorder it they will have plenty of time to assess where they need to have servers and deploy them accordingly.
If I helped you, I would really appreciate it if you clicked my affiliate link.
http://www.gameservers.com/?ref=1632354
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2032267285.png

Cadde
No Longer a Newb

Post by Cadde » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

So, ranked servers... Since i am an avid fan of the Hardcore mode (No HUD, no crosshairs, increased damage etc) i want to ask you (since obviously you are the only one who gets to serve) about if there is going to be a Hardcore mode on Ranked servers.

I understand if you don't know at this time but the moment you do know and can come back with a positive answer i will pre-order a server. As long as it's located in Sweden though, which i already suggested using the form.

And it might be a good idea to press this matter with Treyarch because at this current time there are roughly 33% (1/3) cod players playing Hardcore Team Deathmatch in the Team Deathmath modes. (~2000 play Hardcore TDM and ~4000 play Vanilla TDM, the remaining 10,000 players are spread across the countless other modes)

I bet you don't wanna miss out on 1,800 USD a month just because Treyarch decided something odd.
If that's not on the map i guess i won't even purchase the game.

Yes... Yes i am greedy for details. I am quite hyped!

dixie_69thsf
Click my affiliate link

Post by dixie_69thsf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:59 pm

I keep seeing what the COO say's... I say again... THIS IS GONNA BE INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!