PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:21 am 
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Alright I still after days of trying figured this out, I have this posted in my server config

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://216.155.146.100/8.2.0.136/
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True

still nothing, it just took me clost to 5 minutes to download a 2.3mb map, I have a 46mb map on the server and I dont even want to know how long that would take. Can someone please tell me whats wrong with that section of config I posted. does there need to be a /maps at the end of the RedirectToURL=http://216.155.146.100/8.2.0.136/? like RedirectToURL=http://216.155.146.100/8.2.0.136/maps? I dont what else I can do, its obvious the maps are on the server cause im downloading them. Someone please help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:58 am 

I'm having the same problems as you , i entered the lines into my server cfg ,added custom maps but when i join server the map does d/l but it took atleast 10mins to d/l a 6mb map, i've put in a ticket and am hoping its just teething problems with a new srevice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:17 am 
Frag. Not post.

After spending a few hours on this yesterday, I managed to track down a bug in the game relating to this. Basically, compressed files will not work properly on the redirect. You can set UseCompression=False right now, and at least that part of the redirect will work.

I have spoken to the developers, and we hope to get this looked into on Tuesday.

emmettj, set UseCompression=True. I know I told you the opposite in your ticket, but that was before I discovered the bug.

Dredd13, if you are still having issues, please give me your ticket number.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:15 pm 

Ill hold off till tuesday and see what happens. I am guessing that it will all be fixed on your side and we will just leave our configs the same with the info you already gave us so all should be well.

Post subject: Good job Devicenull
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:09 am 

Redirect server works wonderfully now. It hauls major ass, I had a guy say he downloaded a 46mb map in 2 mins today. Most of the smaller maps that are under 10mb are done and downloaded for people before the round even starts on the map and they make it in the first wave. Thanks for working hard to get this fixed device. You kicked it in the but

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:51 pm 

How long does it take from setting up redirect and amending config until it starts to work?
Forget it its working fine now. Trying to avoid another "click the update button" support ticket :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm 
Frag. Not post.

Flaccid wrote:
How long does it take from setting up redirect and amending config until it starts to work?
Forget it its working fine now. Trying to avoid another "click the update button" support ticket :?

It should work instantly. If it's not, please open a ticket about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:26 am 

so your saying that all we have to do is just add the conf setting to our inf file and that is it ??? our d/l speeds really sux at the moment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:08 am 
Frag. Not post.

snowman38843 wrote:
so your saying that all we have to do is just add the conf setting to our inf file and that is it ??? our d/l speeds really sux at the moment

If you have purchased a redirect, that is all you need to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 pm 

yeah this works really fast thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:40 pm 

To really make the downloads really fly, I use a mix of Dropbox and compression. Compression can take a 12MB map down to 3MB in size, and Dropbox is a free file hosting service that will saturate the player's connection. No bandwidth or file size limits that I've ran into and I share some HUGE files.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:49 pm 

I could never get Dropbox to properly redirect, no matter what I entered for the http address.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 am 

"Our redirect is setup to automatically download files for you so there is no painful management you have to do! When a client requests a file and the redirect server doesn't have it, it will automatically log in to your game server and download it locally. As a result, the first request for a previously not-requested file will still be served at the regular slower speed from your game server but future requests will fly!"

no matter who is connecting to my server, they will get the benefit of the fast download I am paying 5 dollars a month for, correct? that's the only reason I purchased it.... I don't want people disconnecting when custom maps load because it's too slow of a download.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 am 
Frag. Not post.

Yes, anyone connecting to your server would use our download server, and get the content at a fast speed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 pm 
Click my affiliate link

I bought this service and love the speeds, however only problem I'm having and its not really a big concern since its not happening commonly is that sometimes, while downloading maps after a new map was voted, some to all gamers seem to get stuck at over 100 percent and have very VERY slow download times, a Disconnect and Reconnect seems to fix the problem every time, is this related to GS's redirect being automatic?

I know that Unreal games tend to use the .uz2 compression and most providers from my experience have a /redirect folder in their FTP, but since GS's automatically compresses and redirects, I can see why such folder doesn't exist.

Any help in this is greatly appreciated, I'm unsure if its GS's method that's conflicting with KF itself or a minor bug that needs to be squashed, other than that, great download speeds!

Thanks GS!

Rent your own Killing Floor server at great prices!