PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:57 pm 
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Recently, when I upload new custom gametypes and then restart the server, they aren't recognized. They exist inside the ftp in the right location, but in game they just won't load (it says invalid game variant). My previously uploaded custom gametypes still worked, but any new ones would not. I thought maybe it was a problem with the server, so I did a full re-wipe of the server and tried re-uploading them all. Now none of them work. Anyone else having this issue or know of a work around? I've also noticed the folder "cygdrive" now appears inside my ftp next to my account folder (it used to not be there). And one last thing that I've noticed is that it now takes substantially longer to connect to FTP then before. Used to I could connect to the Game Servers FTP in no more than 1 second, now it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to load.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 am 

I have the same problem with ftp server ( take longer to be connected and the appearance of new folder "cygdrive" ). I have 9 maps on my server but works fine, I have no problems in this regard ! Can you show us your server configuration (init.txt) ? You use Gandanur or Phasor ? Give us more details !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm 

Well the problem wasn't with the custom gametypes that were *already* on the server before this problem began, they were with the new ones that I added. After I wiped the server though, I had to re-add them all, and now none of them work because of that. In other words, all the gametypes below (S-Snipers, TS-Snipers, CTF-Snipers, etc.) were working just fine but when I went to add a new one called "S-Regs -s" it wouldn't recognize it in game as an existing gametype. So I tried a bunch of things and eventually reset the server and uploading all of the gametypes again, and none of them work now.

My init file looked like this:
Code:
sv_name "!        Snipers by Havok"
sv_rcon_password "*************"
sv_maxplayers 10
sv_public 1
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "S-Snipers"
sv_mapcycle_add ratrace "TS-Snipers"
sv_mapcycle_add damnation "CTF-Snipers"
sv_mapcycle_add carousel "TS-Snipers"
sv_mapcycle_add hangemhigh "CTF-Snipers"
sv_mapcycle_add chillout "TS-Snipers"
sv_mapcycle_begin

Those custom gametypes like "S-Snipers" and what not are no longer recognized even though they are in the FTP in the proper location (account/halo/cg/savegames/gametype).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:01 am 

Try it : when change the init.txt you use notepad from windows and not another programs like world, etc. From control panel of your server click STOP SERVER and copy all your files ( init, gametypes ) using of course the ftp server and when everything is copied click on RESTART SERVER !
Ensured that the name of gametype is correctly written in the file init, copy on your computer the file init.txt and edit it and only then copy it to your server !
Try this and let me know what you did...good luck :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:36 pm 

I tried exactly what you said, but got unfortunately the same result. I don't think the problem has to do with my game-types since they are the exact one's that used to work (and the exact init file too). Unless, of course, there is a problem with the FTP and the game-types aren't uploading in full.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 am 

Open a ticket and explain them your problem, maybe her can help you more ! I'm sorry that I can not help more...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:56 pm 

Thanks for your time and for trying though :) I will open a ticket now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:43 am 

@ Master jake - can you post back what support say ? I suddenly have the same problem and none of my custom gametypes will run now for some reason. Tried a full re-install of the server but that made no difference. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 am 
Frag. Not post.

This may be an issue with the file permissions. Ensure that the directories and all the content are chmod'ed to 777.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:54 am 

Ok.. I changed permissions on the gametype folders and also files inside.. all to 777.. that seems to work now. Is this an issue, as chmoding to 777 can leave files and directories wide open to easy access ie. hacking.. yes ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm 
Frag. Not post.

On a standard webserver 777 would present a security issue. Based on how our game servers are set up, this would not present any more security risk then normal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 pm 

Ok thx.. can I ask why this has changed so suddenly ? Not everyone will know about this either ! Presuming that GS are investigating?
Also, I did notice on some of the gametypes on our server that the owner was listed as 'clan bot' - is that to do with Gameservers ?

Host Halo Servers in 14+ locations!