Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:32 pm 
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Thanks for the reply Lithen.

Still not showing.

"No games found...etc etc"

To be honest, all I want is to be able to start up L4D, create a friends only lobby and connect to the server.

>.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:06 pm 

Alright so...
Create a lobby -> Choose settings etc. -> Friends join -> Open console -> Type 'sv_cheats 1' hit enter -> Type 'ms_force_dedicated_server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx' -> Game starts on server.

However, even though the server config states that its password protected and group exclusive, friends who are not in the group can still join and are not asked for a pw when invited.

I'm really confused. Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48 pm 
No Longer a Newb

I don't have random people joining my server for some reason. I think it's pretty weird myself. I just noticed that at least 3 people here are running this server set up and didn't change my steam group number to their own group number. It's showing up as being apart of MY steam group LOL!

The reason it's probably not showing up in your steam group is because you have it set to show up in my steam group LOL

I see about 3 other servers with my steam group icon hahaha

That's probably also why you think random people are connecting to your server, but who knows...

Mine is the 2nd one on the list and there is another one you can't see in the pic below, sBs clan or something. This tells me some people didn't change the steam group number in their config. The people in my steam group are seeing these servers though.

sv_steamgroup 742631
//will make your server show up on steam group servers list (you'll need your steam group number)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:33 am 

Hi FoulPhil.
No, I've changed the group ID in the config. None of those groups are mine.

Just wondering if a fresh install would be of any use?

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 am 
No Longer a Newb

I think the fact that people havent changed the steam group number is hilarious XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:02 am 
No Longer a Newb

Yeah I couldn't stop laughing last night when I noticed it :lol:

A fresh install could help. If you've been installing different mods or have been adjusting settings, removing maps and thing like that. It could be throwing things off. I tried a few different setups myself when I first got my server. I did a fresh install of the server, and did a lot of research on how to set it up. I haven't had any problems with the server since then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:33 pm 

Is there any particular reason why we've got a 'l4d' folder and a 'left4dead' folder - both of which containing the same files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:46 pm 
No Longer a Newb

idk, I have the same thing, but I know all the editing should be done in your left4dead folder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:37 pm 
No Longer a Newb

I used your config, but I still dont have the option for the server to return to a lobby or even start with a lobby? Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:05 pm 
No Longer a Newb

You have to use the whole set up I posted. Not just the config. If you just carefully read over the original post a few times, then follow it step by step, you shouldn't have any problems.

If you don't set up left4 dead launch optinons in steam to search for your server it's not going to connect to your server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:33 am 

Hello,

Since you are the author of the cfg and know about the stuff, I'll ask my question here. I can't seem to connect to my server from my lobby and once it on rare occasions finds a server, I get timed out. My launch settings are like this: +ms_force_dedicated_server XXX:XXX -console. Some people get dumped from the server aswell, but some people are able to play on the server. I'm using the default config that came with the server installation, so there shouldn't be any problems. Help?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:33 am 
No Longer a Newb

I didn't write the config, I got it from a friend of my who owns a game server hosting company. People keep asking me questions like yours. The problem is that you have to follow the instruction I provided and only edit the things on your config that you need edited for sure. You have to ask yourself, if you want it public or private. Or if you want it for your steam group only. Things like that. It has all the commands in the config.

Like I said already these servers don't come set up and ready to play. You have to learn how to set them up. Once you do it's pretty easy to figure out. This stuff is good for you! LOL You are learning a new skill...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:14 pm 

Easily said but in practice it seems there are loads of issues in play, so even with 'apparently' correct settings things aren't panning out...

All I know is that I'm wasting time I don't have getting fairly tired/frustrated with L4D dedicated and wishing I'd never bothered, even this very simple and logical overview of the process doesn't help much, I've followed it and still no luck. I mean half the cvars don't seem to be recognised and other notifications in the log suggest the thing was borked to being with.

No I didn't expect it to be easy but it seems clear that it should never be quite this hard, the fault isn't with splendid individuals providing guides and help but over at Valve.

edit: Well I've given up, oh well, looks like I'm paying for random players for a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:25 pm 
No Longer a Newb

That sucks man. I have my server still up and running with no problems even with updates and everything.

:lol: If anyone can't figure it out, I'll set their server up for $10 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:35 am 
No Longer a Newb

elusively wrote:
edit: Well I've given up, oh well, looks like I'm paying for random players for a month.

It's called charity :D

On another note, anyone else having issues changing maps from say, No Mercy 1 (co-op) to Last Stand (survival) ?
In this example it would result in Last Stand in Co-op mode...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next