PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:38 am 
No Longer a Newb

I had started a ticket on this that Gameservers.com closed three times without any resolution so, I thought I would turn to the forums to see if I can find an answer.

Started a server for MoH-Allied Assault and installed the reborn patch that is already on the server, as well as the game files, to install. All is well at first with the Reborn. It will let me join the game. Then, after a couple mod installs and all is still OK, I install one more and the mod doesn't work. So I just did a clean wipe and re-installed everything, except the bad mod. NOW I can no longer join the game. It's setup just as before any problems. So, I do a clean wipe and re-install only the game (no mods) and I can join. Then I install Reborn and can not join the game. So, I'm thinking there is a problem with Reborn. I do this a couple more times with the same results. Then I think that if I change servers it may fix it. Nope, still no go.

So long as I DON'T install Reborn, I can add mods and do pretty much what I need to without it. The key wording there is "pretty much". I need the reborn patch to get another important mod to work.

Gameserver.com says I am the only one with this problem. But, it IS a valid problem that they refuse to address for one reason or another.

So....this is where you guys come in. Can I install the Reborn patch from my end? Gameservers.com says no but, looking at the install instructions from X-Null (the developers), I don't see where a problem would be. I really don't care to do it unless there is a good chance of it working. Uploading, AGAIN, the mods isn't something I really want to do, just to try it. I haven't had good luck with Reborn so far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 pm 
GameServers Staff

There are many files that you simply do not have the access to overwrite from your end which would make this impossible to accomplish on your end. If you can post your ticket number here, I would be happy to look into your issue for you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:55 pm 
No Longer a Newb

Ticket number is HMG-637MG, which was closed on the Gameserver.com end.

That I can not touch the game files was mentioned before on the ticket and supported by the fact that when I go into the FTP, I do not have sufficient permission to even look at them or open them.

The thing on my end, beyond the security issues that Reborn addresses, are that there are some rcon commands that are only available with the Reborn patch. One of them is to be able to give all team weapons to those on that team ( as opposed to giving ALL weapons to everyone, which I can do now).

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:30 pm 
GameServers Staff

Looking into your ticket, it seems that one of our top admins worked with this and was unable to find a decisive resolution. Upon reviewing the situation, I concur with his diagnosis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:01 pm 
No Longer a Newb

So, what is the problem? No one every told me why I wasn't able to join the game after installing the Reborn patch. All I was told was that no one else had that problem. I even deleted and re-installed MoHaa on my end just to be sure it wasn't me. I also had a fellow gamer try and he wasn't able to join either. Process of elimination tells me it's something wrong with the patch. It all worked together for a day or two when I first started the server and then no more. My suggestion was to re-install the patch on your end with a known good copy. NOT just simply re-install the same patch. No one ever said if this was done or not.

From my end, it seems like all I have gotten is pandering and no answer. I'm not stupid. Without having access to the files affected in the game or the Reborn patch itself, my hands are tied.

I was told at one time to contact the developer myself. To what end, I'm not sure because I can't touch the files. It would seem that the ones that need to contact the developer would be those that can get to the files. Meaning those of you at Gameserver.com.

Though, I am temped to try another hosting company, at this point it is a matter of principal to get this working as it should, just like everyone else's MoHaa server at Gameservers.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:39 pm 
No Longer a Newb

[gs] Dr. Worm wrote:
Looking into your ticket, it seems that one of our top admins worked with this and was unable to find a decisive resolution. Upon reviewing the situation, I concur with his diagnosis.

So, if I understand this correctly, I should read this as "we don't know what the problem is". That's fine. I wouldn't expect everyone to know everything about all problem concerning MoHaa. But, what course of action is being taken to correct the problem? Or is it not a concern?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 pm 
GameServers Staff

From our end, there doesn't seem to be a problem. The server files and OS setup are identical to how other servers are with this running and they are not experiencing any issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:39 pm 
No Longer a Newb

Well....I'm not imagining it. I can join other servers that are running the Reborn patch, that was installed prior to my installing it. I install it and no one can join. I do a complete wipe and re-install without it and all is good, which is how I have been running it (no other choice). By the simple, undeniable, process of elimination, there IS something up with the patch.

Just for a test. Start a MoHaa server temporarily, and install the Reborn patch. Once you start the temporary test server, let me know what the IP address is and I will try to join the game.

I still hold to the belief that the Reborn patch on your servers has only recently become corrupt and this is why it hasn't effected other servers that had previously installed it.

The only other method would be for you (gameservers.com) to get a known good copy of the patch from another source (the developers) and compare each file, line by line, for differences. Very time consuming though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 am 
GameServers Staff

As I stated though, we have many other servers running with identical files from the patch, so that can also be eliminated as the issue. We have run md5 checks against the files and they are 100% in tact in comparrison to other servers, bit for bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:44 pm 
No Longer a Newb

OK....If you say the patch is OK, then explain to me, step by step, just how I should install it so that it works, because I can't get it to work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:37 pm 
No Longer a Newb

FWIW...I do appreciate the help. I just want to get this sorted out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:54 pm 
GameServers Staff

Truthfully, My best suggestion would be to just have us move you to a new IP with a fresh install. That will eliminate any irregularities which could cause a non-detectable issue like this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 am 
No Longer a Newb

Sorry...double post.

Last edited by Carpe Diem on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:25 am 
No Longer a Newb

Just thought I would try it one more time (well twice actually).

First time, I just install the Reborn patch after stopping the server, without changing anything that was already on the server. Meaning all the custom maps and the one weapons mod were in place. Can not join. Just shows "connection timed out" when I try.

OK, second time I do a complete wipe and re-install of the game. NO changes to anything at all. I even left the default rcon password. I can join the game, no problem. OK.... Stop the server (stopping the server was one thing I hadn't done in the past when installing Reborn, which is why I wanted to try again) Install Reborn and restart the server. Again, can not join. Same "connection timed out" message.

Regarding changing the IP and doing a fresh install. I have tried that. I originally started with the server in Atlanta and then started to encounter this problem after a couple days. Trying various times to get it to work, I ended up moving to the server in NewYork. No change at all. Same problems just on a different server.

I really don't understand what the problem may be. I can, and have been able to for years, join and play on other servers that are running the Reborn Patch. Be they also on Gameservers.com or on another server host.

As previously mentioned, I also did a complete un-install of MoHaa on my PC and re-install along with the standard US/UK 1.11 patch. This is the setup I, and I believe most all players, have been using for some time, client side mods aside.

All I do know is that the problem is real. I'm not going through all this just for the fun of it. :D The other thing I know is that there is nothing I can do on my side. Resolving this would fall on your side, that being Gameservers.com

As an aside, perhaps it's something Reborn doesn't like in the game files and not in the Reborn patch itself. Perhaps an md5 check of those files would be in order. I'm thinking it may be something inconsequential normally but rears it's head with the Reborn patch........Just a thought. I'm running out of ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
GameServers.com Forum Newb

Hi

I thought i would voice my opinion

I currently still have a server here with gameservers.com and am a Developer over at the Reborn Site ( Xnull )
I have had the server for over a year and its been fine with connecting etc, until about 2 weeks ago i started getting the same issue as stated above. No other changes were made.
I Can still Getstatus or ping the server through xfire
I can still connect through FTP
Problem occurs when trying to connect to the server normally.

The server is not receiving the connection request at all, which means the problem is occuring before the reborn files are touched.
Have you guys made any changes to firewalls or configurations in the last few weeks ?? it was working fine until then. I can stop the server, wait 1 minute, start it up again and can connect fine for a few hours then not again.
Only guess is something has gone wrong with the firewalls, partically port 12203

Port 21 works for FTP
Port 12300 works for Getstatus requests ( xfire or gamespy )
Port 12203/12204 DOES NOT work for connecting to game.